Sunday, March 2, 2008

It's been a while since I last posted, since mostly our Portland wedding planning content is kept at TypePad, but I thought I would share some really neat sites I found that might be helpful to event/wedding coordinators and planners:
    • Bring the Bling: I stumbled upon this site while looking for some event theme ideas. These seem to be very talented web designers and they have a lot of event planners as clients. I'm not huge on Flash, but they seem to use it in the right way. (I hate those long boring Flash intros with no skip button and no point to them!)
    • Power Productions: Sometimes, as a wedding planner, or a boutique event planner (read: corporate parties under 500 guests) like me, you get asked to do fundraisers and silent/live auctions. As any professional knows, these are a whole different animal than even a lavish social or corporate special event. Judy Anderson at Power Productions is a fundraising guru, having been the original planner for the Classic Wines Auction in Portland, which raises in the millions of dollars per year. She has a couple of great workbooks, Fundraising Auctions Simplified, and Event Management Simplified, that can help you approach the overall process in a logical, step-by-step manner.
    • EMBOK: As an event planner, are you ever asked, "Oh, so you plan parties?" or "So what do you do anyway?" EMBOK, or the Event Management Body of Knowledge, is a great place to send those people. Originally conceptualized by Julia Rutherford Silvers, it is a fascinating breakdown of all of the things a professional must know in order to have mastery of event management: Great for lovers of graphs and lists, but useful in describing job functions and planner responsibilities. Maybe I'm a geek, but I love stuff like this:
















Hmmm...this gives me an idea. Maybe I will keep typepad for clients and blogger for the industry. eeeeenteresting.

No comments: